Back to Archive “2009”

Marktredwitz, 27th January, 2009

Inauguration of “CeramTec Way” in Marktredwitz

The inauguration of the newly named CeramTec-Weg (“CeramTec Way”) took place in Marktredwitz on January 27, 2009. The access road to the CeramTec factory previously named Rosenthalweg was renamed CeramTec-Weg. This step emphasizes the significance of CeramTec AG for the city of Marktredwitz and the surrounding communities as one of the largest employers and investors in the region.

CEO Dr. Ulf-D. Zimmermann and Mayor Dr. Birgit Seelbinder unveil the new street sign together in the presence of the complete executive board with Dr. Jürgen Huber and Rolf-Michael Müller
CEO Dr. Ulf-D. Zimmermann and Mayor Dr. Birgit Seelbinder unveil
the new street sign together in the presence of the complete
executive board with Dr. Jürgen Huber and Rolf-Michael Müller

The inauguration was part of a small ceremony that included the unveiling of the new street sign. The CeramTec executive board with Chairman Dr. Ulf-D. Zimmermann greeted the honored guests, which included the Mayor of Marktredwitz, Dr. Birgit Seelbinder, economic promoter Markus Brand, and the site management along with the works council of CeramTec in Marktredwitz.

In his short address Dr. Zimmermann thanked Dr. Seelbinder and stressed the significance of the occasion as a symbol of the city’s high regard for CeramTec AG. He cited the successful cooperation as the basis for a positive future for both the city and CeramTec. Mayor Dr. Seelbinder replied in her short speech that the city was happy to fulfill the wish to rename the road because CeramTec has been independent from Rosenthal for more than 20 years and Rosenthal does not have a factory in Marktredwitz. With the new name, business partners and suppliers will have an even easier time finding the company. She wished the largest industrial factory in Marktredwitz and the global player much success – especially in the current economic situation – and, if possible, for the next 100 years.

The newly named CeramTec-Weg has a long history. As early as 1903 it was one of the access roads to the newly founded Thomas factory. This is where the Thomas brothers laid the cornerstone for the Thomas porcelain still popular today. The company was taken over by Philipp Rosenthal AG shortly thereafter in 1908, and integrated into the large company that produces its world-famous china near the city of Selb. The factory produced china for many decades and, over time, began manufacturing more and more components for technical applications. By 1960 the focus was purely on technical high-performance ceramics, which led to the renaming of the company into Rosenthal Technik AG in 1971. A few years later, Rosenthalweg – the access road to the factory – also received its official name. On January 1, 1985 Hoechst AG (Frankfurt) took over Rosenthal Technik AG. At the same time, the company was renamed Hoechst CeramTec AG, which remained the company name until 1996 when it was acquired by Cerasiv GmbH / Plochingen. The company has been called CeramTec AG since then, meaning that the name CeramTec has been associated with the city of Marktredwitz, and the access road, for 24 years. The renaming of the access road strengthens the relationship between the company and the city and emphasizes it with the CeramTec factory’s new address “CeramTec-Weg 1”. The new official address is:

CeramTec AG
CeramTec-Weg 1
95615 Marktredwitz