Please select a country
- Česká republika
- CeramTec GmbH
- CeramTec-ETEC GmbH
- Emil Müller GmbH
The CeramTec Group has an industrial history that goes back over a century. It all started with the production site in Marktredwitz, Germany, which was established in 1903. The original product manufactured there was porcelain, which was later developed into industrial ceramics and finally into today’s modern, advanced ceramics. Today’s CeramTec resulted from the acquisition of Hoechst CeramTec AG by Cerasiv GmbH in 1996.
The Thomas factories (Thomaswerke) were founded at the Marktredwitz site in 1903, and taken over by Philipp Rosenthal & Co. AG in 1908. In 1921 they began cooperating with AEG in the development of technical porcelain. The two companies intensified this partnership in the area of technical ceramics in 1936, resulting in the foundation of Rosenthal Isolatoren GmbH, also known as RIG. With the intention of manufacturing technical ceramics, they reorganized their cooperation in 1971, establishing Rosenthal Stemag Technische Keramik GmbH, which was renamed Rosenthal Technik AG in 1974. In 1985 Hoechst AG acquired the company and from that point on operated it under the name Hoechst CeramTec AG.
The CeramTec site in Lauf an der Pegnitz has its roots in Steatit-Magnesia Aktiengesellschaft (STEMAG AG), founded in 1921. Following an initial incorporation into AEG in 1970, the company merged into Rosenthal Stemag Technische Keramik GmbH in 1971 as part of the reorganization of the partnership between Rosenthal and AEG.
Südplastik Gummi- und Kunststoffverarbeitung GmbH began operations at the CeramTec site in Plochingen in 1951. Feldmühle AG took over the company in 1953, renaming it Südplastik und -keramik GmbH (SPK). Feldmühle AG refocused its ceramic activities in 1991 in the newly founded Cerasiv GmbH, but then quickly sold it in 1992 to Metallgesellschaft AG, which integrated the company into its subsidiary Dynamit Nobel AG.
Cerasiv GmbH’s acquisition of Hoechst CeramTec AG followed in 1996, resulting in the founding of CeramTec AG as a Metallgesellschaft AG (from 2000 mg technologies AG) company.
mg technologies AG’s subgroup Dynamit Nobel AG broke away from it in 2004. KKR, an American private equity firm, became the main buyer, integrating parts of Dynamit Nobel AG into Rockwood Holdings Inc. In the process, the Princeton, New Jersey-based Rockwood Group took over ownership of CeramTec AG.
CeramTec continued to grow as a company, acquiring and integrating Emil Müller GmbH in Wilhermsdorf, Germany into the group as a subsidiary in 2007. A further acquisition followed in 2008: ETEC Gesellschaft für technische Keramik mbH also became a subsidiary and was renamed CeramTec-ETEC GmbH.
The company is present around the globe and has production sites and sales offices in the world’s most important markets, including North America in Laurens, South Carolina and China in Suzhou.